September 22, 2022

[ad_1]

A Victorian woman has suffered extensive second-degree burns to large parts of her body following a botched laser hair removal appointment.
Chloe Allworthy has had red blisters on her arms, legs and underarms since undergoing the routine procedure at Geelong Laser and Electrolysis Clinic two weeks ago.

“I was in a lot of pain and it did not look normal to me,” Allworthy told 9News.

A Victorian woman has suffered extensive second-degree burns to large parts of her body, following a botched laser hair removal appointment. (Nine)

“It’s really knocked my confidence at this point and I just would not want anyone else to go through this.”

Following the skin appointment, the 30-year-old’s GP urgently referred her to a dermatologist, citing “extensive laser hair removal burns”.

The technician from the clinic has apologised to Allworthy and offered a refund, after claiming there was a hair on the machine and that’s what caused it to malfunction.

Geelong Laser and Electrolysis Clinic has since taken down its website and has not responded to queries from 9News.

In a letter to Allworthy’s GP, the 30-year-old’s dermatologist said the markings are “a consequence of settings on the laser/IPL machine being set too high”.

Chloe Allworthy has had red blisters on her arms, legs and underarms since undergoing the routine procedure (Supplied Nine)

Allworthy said she is using creams and other methods to prevent permanent scarring.

“Unfortunately I’m not allowed in the sun now with my burns for the next three months,” she said.

“The doctor was extremely shocked and he helped me by telling me I should report it to the Ombudsman and I have also reported it to the Health Complaints Commissioner.”

The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) has made a submission to the medical regulator, arguing their needs to be more regulation in the cosmetic medicine industry, including the use of lasers.

Chloe Allworthy has been contacted by two other clients of the same clinic, who claimed they had similar burns from laser hair removal. (Supplied Nine)

“We’re asking for a proper complaints procedure so that people can feel assured of the safety, they are fully informed and there’s a consent procedure and they know where to go should there be something that they think has gone wrong,” RACGP President Dr Karen Price told 9News.

Allworthy has been contacted by two other clients of the same clinic, who claimed they had similar burns from laser hair removal.

“One of those people have said they are permanently scarred,” she said.

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.