Twenty-three-year-old engineer John said he ripped a locked front door off its hinges to enter the major housefire on Gloucester Street in Highgate Hill in a brave effort to save a brother and sister.
“We just heard these kids yelling ‘fire’ and I ran outside and saw the house and smoke,” he told 9news.
“I ran up to the front door and it was locked.
“House was full of stuff and equipment so we had to pull the doors off and pull a couple of things outside the house and I went inside the house and grabbed them.”
Vision has emerged showing the moment flames lit up the sky and thick smoke billowed from the inner-city property.
“I was asleep and it was like popping, like fireworks,” a young neighbour said.
“Then we came out to see it and it was a blaze in fire, like, three or four times higher than the house.”
The blaze broke out around 10pm on Saturday and was extinguished three hours later at about 1am.
When firefighters arrived at the scene the house was “fully involved with a high volume of smoke and flames”.
“Initial reports of occupants possibly missing, on further investigations all persons were out of the building,” said Keith Hansen, Queensland Fire and Rescue.
Several fire trucks attended the scene and crew members are now investigating what sparked the incident.